2014年12月22日月曜日

Mosquito Magnet Defender Repair

My 10 yrs old Mosquito Magnet Defender failed early this summer.
After couple of hours of web research, it seemed the thermocouple was failing.
This guide was helpful.
I was lucky to find the Defender schematic on the web which had the thermistor part number on it.
I've ordered the part from Digi-key (part# KCD14G-ND). The part itself was only a couple of $.
Here's how I repaired the thermocouple;

1. The thermistor was glued on the thermocouple with some kind of resin. I heated the resin on the gas stove for about 30 sec and broke with pliers and screw driver.
Heated thermocouple (left) new thermistor (right)
Cleaned thermocouple

2. After completly removing the resin with a utility knife, I glued the thermistor with epoxy. I used JB Weld Original cold weld formula.

3. After 24 hrs of curing time, I reassembled the thermocouple using silicone cauking (the nylon screw was broken and the hardware store in the area didn't have it) .

The thermistor max opetrating temperture is 220 degree C, which is within the JB Weld epoxy and silicone caulking's max temp.

I've had it run for all summer 2014 and had no issue.
If your Mosquito magnet failed, it's worth the try!!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿